Friday, September 20, 2013

Lean, Mean + Clean Eats: Buffalo Chicken Meatballs

Buffalo Chicken Meatballs with green salad -- When I am not dieting for a show, I will add some extra goodies to my salad (cheese/nuts/seeds/broken crackers) and throw a bottle of dressing into my bag for a quick lunch
Hi All!

A short + sweet recipe for anyone looking to "spice" up their lunchbox this week!! ;-)

Brooke's Clean Buffalo Chicken Meatballs

1 package ground chicken
½ small white onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, pressed (garlic press)
½ tsp extra virgin olive oil
½ bunch fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp smoked paprika
½ - ¼ cup Frank’s Red Hot Sauce

A few shakes of sea salt + fresh ground black pepper

 Line a baking sheet with tin foil and preheat oven to 350 F. Chop the onion and press the garlic and toss into a frying pan over medium-low heat with olive oil. Soften for 3-5 mins until lightly golden, then add to a mixing bowl along with all other ingredients. Mix together until all ingredients are evenly distributed. I like to use a tablespoon to grab the meat out of the bowl and form into meatballs from there. This way’s nice because it also keeps them all the same size so they bake evenly. ;) The more you know... lol!

Bake for 10 mins, turn the meatballs over, and bake for another 5-7 mins. I always just break one apart to make sure they're cooked all the way through - just keep in mind they will have a little bit of a red/pinkish color to them because of all the hot sauce in the recipe! :-) Let cool + enjoy!

Way to mess up my name, Starbucks lady... ! ha ha ha ;-p
Make-a-Meal
For a quick and light meal, I love serving these meatballs with carrot sticks + celery, some Bolthouse fresh ranch dip and a handful of tamari almonds or throwing them into a big salad!
Depending on my fitness goals (if my meal includes carbs) I’ll add these into a bowl with some quinoa and a bunch of fresh chopped veggies. I like grated carrot, chopped green onions, chopped bell peppers, a few crumbles of feta (the goat’s milk type is my fav!) a few slices of avocado and a few shakes of tamari or soy sauce. Seriously delish! 
Lastly, a classic and comforting twist: spaghetti and meatballs! I'm not a huge fan of pasta, so I use spaghetti squash instead of noodles (a GREAT low carb, less processed substitute) and add my favorite tomato sauce -- Newman's Own and some mushrooms + onions!

Fit Tip <3
I do my grocery shopping between Save-On, Superstore, Sobeys and Costco and between all of these stores, Superstore's ground chicken is priced true to it's weight and normally runs around $5.50 for a pack, whereas Save-On sells the exact same package for $7. I know it's only $1.50 but when you go through as much ground chicken as I do, it adds up! ;) What can I say? My dad used to pack us all into the car on a Saturday to drive across town, to the Brick, when he heard a radio commercial saying they were giving away free coffee mugs and hot dogs.... so it goes without saying.... I know a good deal when I see one! lol!

 My mantra for this week is "When we write down our dreams, they become goals; when we act upon our goals, they become reality." So dream big, work hard, and don't you dare stop until you succeed!

Have a lean, mean + clean day fitfam!!!

xo Brooke

2 comments:

  1. Looks like yummy recipe. As I am a fan of Frank's Red Hot, I will definitely have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sean! :) it is one of my FAVs! Let me know how it works out for you :)

    ReplyDelete